If you let your ego get bigger than your love for your partner, the relationship will crumble. Never let your ego stand between you and your partner. Always apologize first, no matter who is wrong or right in the relationship. Your willingness to resolve a misunderstand between you and your partner shows how much you truly value and care for them. Apologizing first is not a sign of weakness but of bravery. It takes a brave person to admit their mistakes whether they are wrong or not; and a strong person to look past your flaws and imperfections and forgive you.
Take a look at five (5) ways to restore your relationship;
1) Take the first step and apologize: Nowadays, most relationships end because of one or both partner’s inability to compromise. It doesn’t matter who is wrong or right. If you truly love your partner, you will put your ego aside and be the first to apologize. Don’t let negative self-talks stop you from making a move. Sometimes those little voices in your head stop you from doing what you need to do, by implying that your partner is the one who is wrong and therefore should apologize first. The more you listen to those negative self-talks, you will be convinced that your partner is the one who should do the apologizing and not you. Disregards those negative comments. Take the first step and apologize.
2) Forgive and let go: Forgiveness renews and restores your relationship. Your willingness to forgive your partner whenever they make a mistake or do something wrong is the best way to love them. No mistake or offense is beyond forgiveness. We all make mistakes and fall short of doing the right things. This does not in any way make us less human. Always be willing to forgive your partner. A strong person looks past your mistakes and forgive and let go. If you didn’t make the first move by apologizing, make sure that you forgive and let go when they admit their mistakes. Most times, I found out that despite the misunderstanding between both partners, they actually want to reconnect again.
3) Exercise a little patience: When things don’t go the way you plan in your relationship, don’t lose your patience. Keep making an effort to restore your relationship. It is easy for you to lose patience and give up on your partner when the situation in your relationship gets out of hand. When your relationship is fragile and liable to break, exercise a little patience. When your partner starts giving you an attitude you can’t tolerate anymore, keep being patient. Always remember that every relationship goes through hills and valleys. Your ability to tolerate being hurt or provoked without loss of temper shows how rigid you are in your commitment to always be with them during trying times.
4) Earn your partner’s respect: Respect is not something you forcefully demand for. It’s something you give freely and if received well, it will be returned in the same manner. No matter the position you hold in your home or society, you don’t forcefully demand to be respected. Demanding to be respected will only get you scorned and disrespected. This applies to every area of our lives; including relationships. As the head of the family, imposing authority on your partner does not give you a free pass on earning their respect. Respect is reciprocal. When you learn to earn your partner respect, they will start treating you in a way that they haven’t treated you before. They will treat you better because they believe you truly value them and have no intentions of disrespecting them.
5) Learn to appreciate your partner: Learn to appreciate your partner for what they are and the efforts they put in the relationship. Appreciating your partner will make them feel special. This will in turn build the love and trust they have for you. Learn to appreciate everything your partner has to offer, even the little things. Don’t take them for granted, for it will make them feel frustrated and give up. Don’t despise their efforts, rather encourage them by appreciating every little thing they do. Someday, you will look back and realize that those little things they did actually meant a great deal. This will give you a sense of gratitude for having such a wonderful and caring partner. Restore your relationship with your partner by appreciating them. Learn to appreciate your partner.
Thanks for reading.
SEE ALSO: 8 BEHAVIORS THAT RUIN RELATIONSHIPS