It will continue to feel like you carry the weight of the world on your shoulders until you free yourself from the burden you carry within. In order to attain your dreams and goals without setbacks, you need to give up all unnecessary burden that will impede your progress. Anything that will make you act in a negative way is not needed in your journey. You need to understand that no one is entirely perfect. We all make mistakes. Making mistakes is an inevitable part of the human experience. But making excuses to avoid responsibilities won’t get you anywhere. It’s better to make mistakes than to make excuses. It’s how quickly you learn and grow from your mistakes that really matters. You don’t learn anything from your inaction. You need to give up certain things in order to be free.
Take a look at ten (10) things you need to give up;
1) Excuses: Winners don’t make excuses, they make improvements. They don’t shy away from responsibilities but rather they face them knowing that they have only two options: make progress or make excuses. You are never going to reach that goal you set for yourself until you break free from the habit of always making excuses every time your focus is needed. Excuses are the little setbacks we set for ourselves. Every time you make an excuse to avoid responsibility, you are setting yourself back from achieving success. Don’t make excuses for why you can’t get it done. Focus on all the reasons why you should make it happen.
2) Self-doubt: Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will. Sometimes it’s really not your lack of skill or ability that prevents you from achieving all that you desire, but your lack of confidence. You can achieve anything you set your mind to achieve; but self-doubt tricks one into believing that it’s impossible. Self-doubt misleads us to a point where we lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt. When you let self-doubt take control, you will begin to see all the reasons why it’s impossible to attain your goals. Always trust and believe in yourself and all that you are. Whenever that little voice comes again telling you how deficient you are, inhale confidence and exhale doubt. Replace that voice with clarity and a calm decisive action. By taking action, you diminish your fears.
3) Fear of failure: Like I always say, failure is not the opposite of success, but part of it. When you stop being so afraid of failure, you will get to understand that failure is not fatal, but actually success in progress. Every successful person believes that without the experience of failure at some point in their career, success wouldn’t have been attained. What is important is how quickly you learn and grow from your mistakes and failures. Don’t get decapitated by your failures. Whenever it feels as though you have failed, is the moment you need to get back up and try again. Try again, this time with mindset and experience that you will do better than your previous attempt. Don’t fear failure.
4) Procrastination: Procrastination is the thief of time. Every day you spend procrastinating is another day spent worrying about that thing. Do it now, and move on with your life. Never do tomorrow what you can do today. Action will put an end to all your procrastination. Whenever you complete a goal or do something you have been procrastinating for a long time, you will begin to feel a sense of achievement. This urges you to complete all those uncompleted tasks you probably forgot about. Always tell yourself “No more procrastination”. It time you stop allowing your days to stolen by busy nothingness.
5) People Pleasing: You will run yourself dry by trying to please everyone. Sometimes it’s better to say “no” and keep your sanity than say “yes” and be emotionally drained. Learn to say “no” without explaining yourself. Sometimes saying “no” is the most honest thing you can do for yourself and others. It creates healthy boundaries between you and others. It makes them know when to respect your boundaries without furthermore violating. Learn to set your standards and stand by them. Don’t give anyone the power to control your emotions into making unwanted decisions. Set your standards and the world will meet you there. Don’t lose yourself trying to please everyone. If you live for people’s acceptance, you will die from their rejection. Stop people pleasing.
6) Fear of success: Success is an inside job. If you don’t see yourself attaining success within your mind, there is practically no way you will attain success in reality. Most times I found out that it’s usually the individual that prevent themselves from attaining success. By being afraid of success, you sabotage your own self. In order to overcome your fear of success, you need to explore and thwart every negative belief that prevents you from attaining success. Always remember that success isn’t a destination but rather a journey. Prepare yourself for your success journey. Always see yourself as part of something greater. It will be difficult to get rid of your fear of success with negative people always around you. Stay away from negative people to prevent the impediment of your success.
7) Negative thinking: The thoughts you choose to allow are the thoughts that will affect you. Your life flows in the direction of your thoughts. The things you constantly think about paves the way for your future. Thoughts held in the mind produces after their kind. Think positive thoughts and they will produce positive results and vice versa. You can’t achieve positive results with a negative mindset. Old ways won’t open new doors. Reality is created by the mind. Change your reality by changing your mind. Replace every negative thought with positive thoughts. Recreate yourself by forging a new identity through the power of a renewed mind; free from the shackles of negativity.
8) Negative self-talks: Be careful how you talk to yourself because you are also listening. Like I said earlier, the thoughts you choose to allow are the thoughts that will affect you. Whenever you get compelled by those negative self-talks to act in a negative way, be gentle with yourself and always remind yourself that you are doing the best you can. Don’t let those voices drag you into a state of hopelessness. Most times, we discover that those negative self-talks we often hear isn’t even our own voice; but someone else’s. Realizing that those negative self-talks you hear isn’t really your own but someone else’s is the key to freedom from it. At any moment in your life, the decision you make can change the direction of your life forever. Always make the right decision. Always be positive. Give up those negative self-talks.
9) Judgment of others: Judging a person doesn’t define who they are, it defines who you are. Don’t judge others, because you are not perfect. A phrase I love; “He who is without sin should cast the first stone”. No one is entirely perfect. Don’t judge others so that you won’t be judged in return. Whatever energy you give out to others is the same energy you get back from others. Wherever you find yourself, don’t be compelled to speak ill of others. If everyone in your circle of friends speaks ill of others, don’t be carried away to do the same; instead keep quiet. Always remember that everyone you meet is fighting a battle that you know nothing about; so don’t judge.
10) Negative people in your circle: You are just as strong as the people you spend your time with. Another phrase I love “Show me your friends, I will tell you who you are”. You become who you spend your time with. Little by little you start picking up their traits and habits. The more you keep spending time with negative people, you unknowingly start displaying negative and irrational behaviors. These behaviors are so subtle that you may even overlook them as the cause of your mistakes and poor decisions. Sometimes you need to rid your circle of the negative people, so that there can be space for the positive ones to fill in.
Thanks for reading.
SEE ALSO: 10 HABITS FOR HAPPINESS