Marriage is not for only a short period of time. It is a life time commitment you make to your partner to always be by their side for better or worse. There will certainly be good and bad times in your marriage. It is not going to be all sweet and rosy. Challenges are certainly going to present themselves. In order to make your marriage work, it is essential you see those challenges as catalysts for improvement. Always remember that there is no such thing as a perfect marriage; only two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other despite their imperfections.
Take a look at five (5) secrets to make your marriage work;
1) Communicate better: Most marriages fail due to poor communication. When there is no effective ground to communicate freely with your partner, the marriage is liable to break. Without effective communication, you won’t truly get to understand your partner well enough. At some point the marriage may seem one sided. When this happens, your partner will no longer feel comfortable telling you about the things that goes on in their life at work or when they are with their friends. Learn to communicate better with your partner. It will help you get to understand them better. Don’t stop doing the things your normally do with your partner at the early stage of your marriage. Good communication begets trust.
2) Always trust your partner: Trust is highly important in ensuring a healthy and lasting marriage. Without trust in your marriage, it will be very difficult to move forward with your partner. Challenges will keep getting the best of the marriage when you don’t trust them wholeheartedly. The best proof of love is trust. Whether it is friendship or relationship, all bonds are built on trust; without it, you have nothing. If you truly want your marriage to work in spite of challenges, you should learn to always trust your partner. Trust them without a doubt for it will make them respect you.
3) Give due respect: Respect is reciprocal. You don’t forcefully demand to be respected. What you can do is give respect and if received well, it will be returned in like manner. If your partner treats you with respect, it is only fair you give due respect. Try not to disrespect them in anyway. Treat your partner the way you want to be treated. This will make them respect you even more. They will hold you in high regard wherever they are. And if they find someone trying to disrespect or speak ill against you in your absence, they will quickly defend your name.
4) Be patient with your partner: Great marriages don’t just happen overnight. They take time, patience and two people who truly want to be together. Take for example a little child who is learning how to walk for the first time. They will walk and fall a couple of times before they finally get to walk freely unaided. While learning to walk, the parent needs to be patient and supportive knowing fully well that their child will walk perfectly someday. Same thing applies to marriages. You need to learn to be patient with your partner whenever they are slow in catching up. In order to make your marriage work, there has to be room for them to be human, make mistakes and grow.
5) Forgive quickly: To err is human and to forgive is divine. We are all humans. The fact that we sometimes make mistakes and fall short of doing the right things doesn’t make us any less human. Someone who truly understand this will be quick to forgive whenever you make a mistake or do something wrong. They won’t judge or condemn you for your actions, rather they will support and encourage you to improve on yourself. This act will give your partner the impression that you care for them in the most compassionate way. This will encourage them to improve on themselves. This is how to make your marriage work.
Thanks for reading
SEE ALSO: 5 WORDS OF ADVICE FOR MARRIED COUPLES